Happiness is a demarcation point?
It was reading his blog that got me inspired again. I'm glad that in some ways, I'm still touched by his wisdom and insights. Tho I may not always agree wholeheartedly.
So instead of retail therapy at the designer shops like I'd planned after a stressful week, I actually took time-out to smell the roses and spent a(unheard of!)good two weeknights staying in. Instead of chasing after the next material dream or hottest hangout joint.
Contentment equals happiness is a hard equation to live with for some of us I guess. Even when we have the best thing in our lives in that moment, we'll still manage to find some fault or be looking over our shoulders with an eye out for an even better model. Think trusty Honda versus speedy convertible and your heart meter will waver a split second. Is happiness really just a matter of demarcation? A matter of drawing your personal lines? I think there's an even bigger truth behind that - that is, to actually discover what makes you happy. Ask yourself this, and answer honestly, do you really know what makes you happy? I'm not talking about the sum of all parts. I'm talking about the one thing that mattered most in your life.
Confidence in doing your best at a job you love, the intimacy of close friends, the security in your partner loving you soul-completely. Surely, when we listen to that inner voice amidst the hustle bustle that is life, we always knew what would make us happy. Just that we mould and shape ourselves to The Rules of happiness. Happy people did this, and that, they lived their lives this way or that way. That we end up believing we'd be happy if we'd just be like them. Hate to burst your bubble but human beings are wonderfully complex creatures and yeah, we'd probably be happy in the time span it takes instant pudding to be made.
I think the happiest people are those who knew what made them happy and who didn't rest until they made that a reality. Sometimes, small blessings unexpectedly makes you happy and thankful for a split second, like finding a last penny when you're thirsty at the coke machine. Or, getting a very nice and kind cabbie when you're exhausted. But the sum of small blessings don't make a happy person of you at the end of the week does it?
What's more, knowing what makes you happy doesn't just stop there. Many people I know are afraid to voice out what would make them happy because god forbid, what would others think of them? It takes some chutzpah to ask because we are too 'nice' and much like diet soda to behave like full-bodied red wine.
I have a confession to make. I should be very happy doing a job that I love. Cos only 1 per cent of the population can lay claim to the fact that they are in a vocation they felt destined to be in. (point in mind, the knowing what makes you happy to bring you results)and while I'm definitely loving it, there's another part of happiness for me, that will make that happiness whole. A very wise actress once revealed her New Year's resolution to me: To find and keep love this year. And I've kept that with me since. So, what's integral to your happiness?
So instead of retail therapy at the designer shops like I'd planned after a stressful week, I actually took time-out to smell the roses and spent a(unheard of!)good two weeknights staying in. Instead of chasing after the next material dream or hottest hangout joint.
Contentment equals happiness is a hard equation to live with for some of us I guess. Even when we have the best thing in our lives in that moment, we'll still manage to find some fault or be looking over our shoulders with an eye out for an even better model. Think trusty Honda versus speedy convertible and your heart meter will waver a split second. Is happiness really just a matter of demarcation? A matter of drawing your personal lines? I think there's an even bigger truth behind that - that is, to actually discover what makes you happy. Ask yourself this, and answer honestly, do you really know what makes you happy? I'm not talking about the sum of all parts. I'm talking about the one thing that mattered most in your life.
Confidence in doing your best at a job you love, the intimacy of close friends, the security in your partner loving you soul-completely. Surely, when we listen to that inner voice amidst the hustle bustle that is life, we always knew what would make us happy. Just that we mould and shape ourselves to The Rules of happiness. Happy people did this, and that, they lived their lives this way or that way. That we end up believing we'd be happy if we'd just be like them. Hate to burst your bubble but human beings are wonderfully complex creatures and yeah, we'd probably be happy in the time span it takes instant pudding to be made.
I think the happiest people are those who knew what made them happy and who didn't rest until they made that a reality. Sometimes, small blessings unexpectedly makes you happy and thankful for a split second, like finding a last penny when you're thirsty at the coke machine. Or, getting a very nice and kind cabbie when you're exhausted. But the sum of small blessings don't make a happy person of you at the end of the week does it?
What's more, knowing what makes you happy doesn't just stop there. Many people I know are afraid to voice out what would make them happy because god forbid, what would others think of them? It takes some chutzpah to ask because we are too 'nice' and much like diet soda to behave like full-bodied red wine.
I have a confession to make. I should be very happy doing a job that I love. Cos only 1 per cent of the population can lay claim to the fact that they are in a vocation they felt destined to be in. (point in mind, the knowing what makes you happy to bring you results)and while I'm definitely loving it, there's another part of happiness for me, that will make that happiness whole. A very wise actress once revealed her New Year's resolution to me: To find and keep love this year. And I've kept that with me since. So, what's integral to your happiness?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home