Saturday, February 09, 2008

For the Love of Food

I have to admit that Valentine's Day for the past years have been, largely, a non-affair for me. Owing to sleight of coincidence, the time-is-not-yet-to-be company or perhaps my own avoidance of the bah-humbug day. But in the midst of CNY now, the upcoming red-lettered day has been catching my attention and in the least likely places of all - a food magazine. So why not, I thought, wax lyrical on the two subjects that can rouse up the most fervent of desires and obsessive of inclinations.

So here I am, glass of spirit in hand (concocted mix of gin and mimosa liqueur, shaken not stirred), loneself company and trusty laptop to muse. Thinking back to my chagrin, though collector of tomes of great chef books, I realised that I have never before found the motivation to whip up a menu to seduce. Yes, I did cook for awhile in a long time ago relationship but the menu seemed more like a list of what madam would instruct the help to cook for daily dinners - familiar but non-exciting dishes like black pepper chicken, fried eggs with onions and sauteed veg - hardly stuff to be used in the seduction stakes. Although that I've been moved to put on an apron for a guy says volumes... still, as I'm heading steadily towards the end spectrum of 3-0, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to be in something which would have me willingly labour over the stove for half an afternoon and grime aside, to anticipate the appreciative look of wonder in the eyes. Scented artichokes, a citrus clash of flavours, spiced jellyfish and mint leaves (let's get fresh, eh) would probably figure in my fantasy seduction menu. The intention is to provoke, confound and eventually tempt the tastebuds (and eventually the man) into exploring ironic combinations. If the menu falls apart, hey, at least it'll provide a good laugh to remember! Case in point, that I have always found an underlying sensual, occasionally tempestuous current in both love and food.

I can recall only once in my life, has my guy ever bothered to cook for me (instant noodles do not count, my dear) and I still remember what he made to this day. Not because it was unforgettably delicious. To the opposite effect rather, the chicken in orange sauce combination had a heavy hand in the citrus juice mixed in a flour and water sauce that wasn't exactly the best I had, but it was the loveliest effort and eaten off my room floor at that time. The chicken was left unfinished but he sure scored brownie points afterwards for effort!

I'm coming to realise that passion for food and love (the romantic one at least) run parallel in many aspects - the attraction of visuals, the desire to have and savour, the compulsion to deconstruct and understand, and finally, satiation. It even seems, that the type of food I put in my man's mouth and tummy, reflects the relationship to a large extent as well. If there's a menu for seduction, why not a menu to ensnare, for those with more permanent intentions. I'm on a hunt to fine tune my seduction menu this year, per chance it might come in handy some day. Till then, candle-lit dinners sound just fine by me.

1 Comments:

Blogger pRinCesS reLLez said...

I miss you girl!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home